Automation Design Engineer II - Birmingham
About the Job
Schneider Electric's Energy Savings Performance Contracting (ESPC) business is seeking an Automation Design Engineer II to support its rapidly growing U.S. operations. The ESPC Automation team is responsible for developing and implementing industry leading automated and connected solutions to digitize and optimize the operations and physical systems of its clients to achieve greater efficiency and sustainability. Clients include federal, state, county and city governments, military installations, K-12 school districts, and higher education institutions.
The Automation Design Engineer II is responsible for leading detailed field surveys and delivering comprehensive construction grade design documentation for the turn-key installation of building automation, energy management, and integrated systems. This role requires both the ability to work independently as well as in highly collaborative teams employing advanced communication skills and a solid technical foundation. The successful candidate will operate under the supervision and mentorship of a team of senior engineers while reporting to an engineering team leader or engineering manager. Experience with multiple building automation and control system manufacturers, IP level networking, and programming experience in C, Java, C++, Python, or C#, professional licensure as an engineer or registration as an Engineer-in-Training (EIT) are all significant pluses. The ideal candidate will be passionate about leveraging IoT enabled technology to provide custom engineered solutions for our clients to optimize their operations and facilities.
Learn more about the Energy Savings Performance Contracting business at www.schneider-electric.us/enable
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Lead detailed automation design and engineering field audits
- Create automation scopes of work and cost estimates with minimal supervision
- Prepare technical audit reports
- Provide decision-making support for sales, engineering, and project management functions
- Analyze the performance of mechanical, electrical, and control systems and recommend changes to improve functionality and/or energy efficiency through multi-disciplinary Energy Conservation Measures
- Prepare automation hardware, network, and software designs
- Project management responsibilities including accountability for design budgets and deadlines
- Author sequences of operation for improved energy efficiency of HVAC equipment and other mechanical, electric, and pneumatic systems
- Create building automation and integrated system drawings and reports
- Assist in validation and commissioning hardware and project installations
- Ensure conformance to industry design standards and local codes
- Stay abreast of new technological developments/releases and apply to projects and processes where beneficial
- Assist clients and team members with any BAS operation, software, or networking problems
- Participate in strategic initiatives as assigned to drive continuous improvement
- Deliver solutions with first-time quality while maintaining high levels of internal and external client satisfaction
The qualifications below are representative of the education, experience, skills and/or abilities required. A qualified candidate will meet the minimum requirements as listed in each subsection.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, preferably mechanical, electrical, energy, computer science, or related from an ABET accredited program
- 3-9 years of relevant work experience
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Capacity for analytical thought and proven problem-solving aptitude
- Detail-oriented while also understanding of the "bigger picture"
- Advanced understanding and technical knowledge of HVAC equipment and building mechanical/electrical systems
- Advanced knowledge of current generation Building Automation Systems from Schneider Electric and competing manufacturers
- Understanding of energy metering technologies and applications (electrical, water, gas, BTU, etc.)
- General knowledge of low-voltage electrical contracting and construction methods
- Familiarity with IP level networking and open protocols including BACnet, LON, and MODBUS
- Knowledge in Microsoft Office programs including, but not limited to, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio, and Project
- Advanced organizational skills including the ability to handle multiple demands and assignments while prioritizing tasks effectively and efficiently
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills including listening effectively and soliciting input from others
- Ability to work effectively as a true team player including mentoring and coaching less experienced team members
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The following activities are representative of those that must be performed by an employee to successfully accomplish the primary job responsibilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary duties:
- Moving over rough or uneven surfaces
- Recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities
- Recurring lifting of moderately heavy to light items and transporting of items such as a ladder, tools, laptop computer and luggage
- Driving an automobile
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The following environmental characteristics are representative of those that an employee encounters while performing the primary duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary duties:
- While performing the primary functions of the job, the employee will operate in an office environment
- During project site visits, the employee will be exposed to outside weather conditions, roof tops, and attics, as well as mechanical and electrical equipment rooms which could consist of confined spaces and loud noises
- Employee may work in different environments while on various job sites
- This job will require approximately 30-50% travel to project sites, both international and domestic
- Birmingham, AL
- Carrollton, TX (Dallas metropolitan area)
Relocation assistance is available.
- A growing global company with a positive corporate culture
- Recognized leader among energy services companies (ESCOs)
- Strong team culture and respected sales organization
- Competitive salary and bonus opportunities
- Excellent benefits package including a generous 401k match and employee discount stock purchase program
- Commitment to team member development including extensive in-house/external training options and a tuition reimbursement program
We seek out and reward people for being straightforward, open, passionate, effective and challenging the status quo. We want our employees to reflect the diversity of the communities in which we operate. We welcome people as they are, creating an inclusive culture where all forms of diversity are of real value to the company. We're looking for people with a passion for success - on the job and beyond. See what our people have to say about working for Schneider Electric: https://youtu.be/6D2Av1uUrzY .
Let us learn about you! Apply today.
You must submit an online application to be considered for any position with us. This position will be posted until filled.
It is the policy of Schneider Electric to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities in the areas of recruiting, hiring, training, transferring, and promoting all qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, color, gender, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, military status, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other legally protected characteristic or conduct.
Concerning agencies: Schneider Electric does not accept unsolicited resumes and will not be responsible for fees related to such.
Schneider Electric is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.