Senior Test Engineer
About the Job
Senior Test Engineer
At Schneider Electric, we create connected technologies that reshape industries, transform cities and enrich lives. Help us deliver solutions that ensure Life Is On everywhere, for everyone and at every moment: https://youtu.be/NlLJMv1Y7Hk .
We're looking for people with a passion for success - on the job and beyond. See what our people have to say about working for Schneider Electric: https://youtu.be/HyZQJwxN6Lk
Meet your potential new colleagues in the Schneider Blog and take a look behind the scenes http://blog.schneider-electric.com LifeIsOn .
Connected Living is an innovative and fast-growing Line of Business in the Energy Management division of Schneider Electric providing cutting-edge IoT solutions & products. We provide intelligent interface between humans and buildings to bring Comfort, Safety & Efficiency to our customer's lives.
We design and manufacture connected home products and services that include the physical products that go in our customers' homes, the apps they use and the cloud-hosted software that make it all work well together. You will be working with agile cross-functional delivery teams that consist of: app developers, cloud service developers and architects, electronics design engineers, mechanical and hardware engineers, embedded systems engineers and manufacturing teams.
Most of the product range is manufactured at facilities in Plymouth, UK under the Drayton brand and in Nuremberg, Germany as Eberle Controls. This role will be located in Plymouth.
An excellent opportunity has arisen for a Senior Test Engineer focussing on whole system testing of our product portfolio to join a dynamic and fast paced design engineering department based in our offices in Plymouth, Devon.
This role will focus on functional and non-functional whole-system testing activities and will interact with the agile development teams during development and prior to delivery into system test. In this role, you will report to the Head of Product Quality and Test and help support the system test team, the design engineering function in general and the agile development teams. Within the system test team this role will have responsibility for specific test engineering activities, test analysis, supporting test planning, making recommendations and helping prepare engineering reports where necessary. This role will provide opportunities to: (a) propose improvements to our development, test and engineering processes (b) help refine system requirements and (c) shape and take part in all the agile activities that accompany development of connected smart devices on the IoT.
This role will help drive system testing to: (a) find weaknesses in design solutions (b) verify functional and non-functional whole-system requirements (c) define, coordinate and lead test activities where appropriate.
You will be working in a fast-paced, dynamic Design Engineering function as part of the product quality and test team in an agile development environment.
Your specific accountabilities include :
· Plan, design, develop script and execute end-to-end whole-system tests with an emphasis on whole system thinking and hardware in the loop.
· Provide test expertise to the system test team and support technical test colleagues in the cross-functional development teams.
· Support the agile delivery teams to help define and perform pre-integration and integration testing in close collaboration with the agile development teams
· Work with the Product Quality Lead (PQL) to support in-field testing and trials and ensure that the "voice of the customer" influences system test activities
· Help the system test team design and develop functional and non-functional tests that maximise test coverage of the whole-system behaviour and operation.
· Work closely with technical testers within the development teams to provide test support and to support problem solving activities.
· Maintain links with the manufacturing QA and support teams to assist in the resolution of in-field issues
- Alert the project and line management functions to significant deviations or threats in an effective, proactive and timely manner
Your key responsibilities:
· Perform thorough functional and non-functional whole-system testing on the system release candidate and provide timely feedback in a clear and concise manner
· Represent the system test team at planning events to ensure a workable plan and commitments are agreed
· Help define and maintain the system test Kanban board
· Maintain test documentation and results
· Work with the cross-disciplinary agile delivery teams to help ensure system test entry criteria are met prior to commencement of system test
· Maintain a strong customer focus always and drive rapid feedback on product behaviour
· Identify opportunities to introduce automation into the system test activities
· Help plan and execute end-to-end whole-system testing using a mixture of manual and automated tests where appropriate.
· Actively participate in risk analysis, FMEA, 3 amigos and product design discussions
· You must have at least 3-5 years' experience as a test analyst/test engineer
· Degree in engineering or a relevant related field
· Proven experience of Behaviour Driven Development or a willingness to learn
· You must have experience of working in an agile development environment
· A professional attitude with good interpersonal skills
· Experience of working as part of a project team. A team player, comfortable engaging proactively with multi-disciplinary teams
· A robust and tenacious individual who remains objective and delivery focussed when dealing with change and uncertainty
· Previous software or firmware test experience within an engineering or manufacturing environment
· Previous experience of test management tools (e.g. we currently use Hip Test)
· Previous experience of continuous integration and build automation tools (e.g. we currently use Team City)
· Previous systems engineering experience
· Experience working in Scaled Agile (SAFe) environment
· An interest in energy management or smart home systems
· Previous Cloud platform testing experience
· Previous experience with connected service testing
· German/French language proficiency
Schneider Electric offers you a competitive salary including a benefits package and the advantages of a professional environment that supports your development and recognizes your achievements.
Every day, we empower employees to achieve more and experience exciting careers. Find out how our values and unique position make Schneider Electric the employer of choice - apply now online.
Diversity is our heritage and our future. Be a part of it.
At Schneider Electric, Diversity & Inclusion is at the heart of our organisation, it's an integral part of our history, culture and identity. We recognise that embracing diversity unlocks innovation and creativity and fosters collaboration. We want our employees to reflect the diversity of our communities and the customers we serve. As a result, our teams are stronger to drive the company's future.
We are open to a conversation about flexible working.
System test, system testing, systems testing, automated testing, behaviour driven development, software testing, embedded firmware testing, quality, connected home, smart home, Internet of Things, IoT, embedded systems, whole-system, hardware in the loop