Financial & Accounting Analyst
About the Job
If you want to make a positive difference and stand out from the crowd, you’ll fit in at The Standard (www.standard.com). Through our retirement plans and insurance products and services, we help people achieve financial well-being and peace of mind. Come join us and share our passion for serving our customers in a positively different way.
The Financial Reporting and Accounting Policy Analyst will perform research, contribute to the development and implementation of new and existing accounting guidance, document complex technical accounting conclusions and accounting policies, and support preparation of financial statements and footnotes. The position collaborates with product divisions and departments along with internal and external auditors to understand impacts to the company and potential changes to processes to meet reporting requirements.
- Perform detailed research, development, and implementation of new and existing accounting guidance related to U.S. GAAP, IFRS, Statutory Accounting Principles, and emerging issues to serve as a subject matter expert.
- Support the preparation of quarterly and annual consolidated GAAP financial statements and footnotes. This includes drafting, editing and compiling internal and external sources to support disclosures within quarterly and annual reporting.
- Draft and maintain an up-to-date library of accounting policies, procedures, and positions on key issues.
- Analyze one time transactions and draft technical accounting memos supporting accounting conclusions. Communicate accounting conclusions and interpretations to key stakeholders across the organization including operational business units and company management.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders in driving the implementation of new accounting and reporting requirements. Assist in special projects and implementation of new software as needed.
- Offer guidance and collaboration with the financial reporting team and statutory reporting teams on the interpretation of disclosure requirements in preparation of financial statements.
- Monitor business activities and ensure timely identification of accounting and financial reporting matters.
- Create and present learning materials for cross-functional knowledge sharing sessions.
- Participate in quarterly and annual impairment assessment of intangible assets and goodwill.
The ideal candidate should exhibit the following behavioral traits:
- Demonstrated ability to perform technical accounting research and effectively communicate the results in both written and oral form.
- Ability to work independently and operate effectively in ambiguous situations.
- Strong problem solving skills, working across organizations and geographies to drive improvements and work through roadblocks.
- Proven business partnering skills, crisp and concise communication to a variety of levels.
- Demonstrated abilities to oversee and handle multiple projects, competing priorities and deliverables including project management.
- Excellent ability to develop influential and collaborative relationships across teams, functions, and cultures.
- Ability to utilize new and changing technology in order to streamline and/or automate current company processes and deliverables.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or other related area
- CPA required or in process
- 2-5 years of public accounting audit experience preferred
- Strong knowledge of U.S. GAAP or IFRS and key principles of application for a wide array of finance and accounting areas
- Experience analyzing complex accounting transactions or policies and documenting conclusion in memorandums.
- Superior writing and communication skills
- Strong PC skills (Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
- Strong attention to detail and analytical/problem-solving skills
- Proven interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
Standard Insurance Company, The Standard Life Insurance Company of New York, Standard Retirement Services, Inc., StanCorp Equities, Inc., StanCorp Mortgage Investors, LLC, and StanCorp Investment Advisers, Inc., marketed as The Standard, are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability or veteran status or any other condition protected by federal, state or local law. The Standard offers a drug- and alcohol-free work environment where possession, manufacture, transfer, offer, use of or being impaired by an illegal substance while on The Standard's property, or in other cases which the company believes might affect operations, safety or reputation of the company is prohibited. The Standard requires a criminal background investigation, drug test, employment, education and licensing verification as a condition of employment. All employees of The Standard must be bondable.
See more information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) applicant rights.
View the notice and invitation to all employees and applicants regarding our Affirmative Action and EEO policy.
Individuals with disabilities who need assistance or accommodation with the application process should contact 971.321.7871. This number is only for the use of individuals with disabilities who need accommodation with the application process. General inquiries about application status will not be addressed.