Financial Counselor - Melville, NY
About the Job
Combine two of the fastest - growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making Healthcare data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life’s best work.SM
This Financial Counselor is full - time (37.5 hours / week).This position is both in office (call center type of office with high call volume) as well as working in the field at various Northwell Health hospital locations. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime. Our office is located at 35 Pinelawn Road, Melville, NY.
- Assist patient / family in completing applications for government sponsored programs / Financial Assistance
- Assess patient’s eligibility for government sponsored programs / Financial Assistance
- Contact patient / family and conduct interviews for the purpose of assessing eligibility
- Verify patient’s information to complete applications
- Check patient's account for previous balances and advise patient of all financial obligations.
- Inform patient of collection policy
- Notify appropriate areas regarding eligibility status and determination
- Coordinate with various agencies and individuals to resolve individual cases
- Answer the telephone and maintain files
- Accumulate data for performance reports
- Inform Supervisor of activities, issues and problem cases
- Basic tasks are completed without review by others
- Supervision / guidance is required for higher level tasks
- Perform related duties as required
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- 1+ years of either Medicaid experience OR health insurance plan experience OR customer service experience (including but not limited to: retail, hospitality, healthcare industry, etc.)
- 1+ years of experience in an office setting environment using the telephone and computer as the primary instruments to perform job duties
- Experience with Microsoft Word (create correspondence and work within templates), Microsoft Excel (data entry, sort / filter, and work within tables), and Microsoft Outlook (email and calendar management)
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time for site coverage, trainings and meetings
- Ability to work 37.5 hours per week, 10 AM to 6 PM and/or 11 AM to 7 PM, Monday through Friday. Shift may include weekend rotation and can include holidays / overtime as needed.
- 1+ years of financial experience in a medical setting
- CAC (Certified Application Counselor) certificate or the ability to obtain one through company provided training within 1 - 3 months from date of hire (CAC training is in NYC, additional Medicaid training in Brooklyn)
- Bilingual in any other language
- Northwell experience and / or knowledge
- Ability to multi - task and prioritize work efficiently
- Ability to work in an ad - hoc environment and be flexible with changing work demands
- Ability to be empathetic
- Strong communication ability - both written and verbal
- Outgoing, engaging and energetic
- Ability to maintain scheduling for others as needed
Careers with OptumInsight. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the Healthcare industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life’s best work.SM
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: enrollment, claims, medical claims, healthcare claims, insurance claims, insurance contracts, office, UnitedHealth Group, Optum, customer, service, representative, CSR, Data Entry, phone support, Medicaid, CAC, Certificate, Melville, New York, NY
View our Covid-19 Resources Page at: https://info.uhg.com/