Hospital Office Manager
About the Job
Healthier pets. Happier people. Better world. Our vision might sound lofty, but we believe it’s attainable when we obsess about providing complete care for our amazing pets. Our approach goes far beyond addressing our animals’ basic needs to support their physical, mental, social, and emotional needs. By being sure we take all of these elements into consideration, we can help pet parents take the very best care of their pets.
The purpose of this position inherently involves providing excellent veterinary care to our full-service hospital patients and phenomenal customer care to their owners. The Hospital Office Manager represents the mission and values of the hospital and Petco to all clients. Our Hospital Office Manager sets the tone within the technical and customer support partners in the hospital, and is responsible, like all partners, for fostering cohesion and motivation within the team.
All hospital partners are responsible for performing their duties in a way that creates an environment in which:
- The patient’s needs always come first;
- Every partner understands that they have the power to do what it takes to create an exceptional guest and patient experience;
- Any issues are dealt with and resolved as they occur when possible, or as soon as is possible;
- Exceptional teamwork and commitment to shared goals benefits the entire organization.
This section includes the primary accountabilities or duties of the job. The incumbent must be able to perform all the following duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Lead practice veterinary technicians, assistants, and concierge to drive operational excellence, efficiency, and high standard patient care and excellent client experience.
- Create productive, collaborative and seamless relationship with all veterinarians in the practice to drive a positive culture and cohesive team environment.
- Point person for all day-to-day functions of the practice including, but not limited to – veterinarian and support partners scheduling, equipment function and maintenance, inventory control and ordering (including the Controlled Substances program), proper invoicing, patient scheduling, team training, radiological safety program and handling elevated guest concerns.
- Escalate partner or client issues to Area Operations Manager and/or Regional Medical Director as required.
- Interface and collaborate with Petco store team to drive seamless complete care customer experience.
- Schedule appointments, communicate with and educate clients, relay test results to doctor and clients, maintain and update inventory as well as client/patient records, and manage accounts receivable.
- Create and maintain doctor’s schedule with support from Regional Medical Director as needed.
- Assume responsibility for scheduling, training, counseling, and onboarding of technical and customer support partners.
- Keep hospital environment neat and clean; perform regular cleaning of environment based on necessity as well as based on a pre-determined maintenance schedule
- Perform additional duties as assigned
- Provide backup phone and front desk support as needed.
The incumbent reports to the Area Operations Manager. The Hospital Office Manager has discretion regarding how and when to schedule veterinary appointments and when new/additional supplies should be ordered.
The Hospital Office Manager must possess excellent planning skills while scheduling the hospital technical partners in order to ensure adequate coverage while making sure the hospital does not exceed forecasted payroll costs. The Hospital Office Manager will also play a crucial role in ensuring that day-to-day operation of the hospital is efficient and provides an optimal experience for our patients and guests.
This position will impact the organization by contributing to the growth of a productive practice while focusing on a high-quality standard of care. From an overall hospital organizational standpoint, this position is critical to ensuring that we have a cohesive, well-trained, and motivated technical team. The desired result is the creation of an optimal environment that ensures partner retention, patient well-being, and customer satisfaction.
This position has immediate daily supervisory duties over the Veterinary Technicians and the Concierge.
The majority of job duties are conducted in the Veterinary Hospital. Position requires bending, kneeling, lifting (up to 30 pounds, as necessary) and standing for long periods of time. A large amount of this partner’s time will be spent in direct contact with clients and their pets.
- Must have at least 3 years previous experience working in a veterinary practice.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be compassionate and sympathetic and be able to maintain a professional attitude and demeanor during emotional and stressful situations.
- Must have telephone etiquette and basic computer skills.
- Must be a team player willing to continue learning, offer creative ideas and accept continual change.