Infrastructure Systems Engineer
About the Job
If you want to make a positive difference and stand out from the crowd, you’ll fit in at The Standard (www.standard.com). Through our retirement plans and insurance products and services, we help people achieve financial well-being and peace of mind. Come join us and share our passion for serving our customers in a positively different way.
When you work at The Standard, you are part of a company that provides customers financial well-being and peace of mind. As a member of our IT team, you work side by side with the business, pursuing strategic opportunities for our company. It’s an exciting time with new products, new distribution channels and new customer needs that are driving big investments in technology. At The Standard, we are large enough for big opportunities and small enough for big impact.
Are you an innovative Middleware Engineer that is driven to make a difference? Do you want to lead and drive the middleware platform? If you want to be heads down and a "gear in the system”, then this isn't the job for you.
The Standard is on a multi-year program to modernize key infrastructure and business systems. These programs are in flight now and we have an immediate need for a team member to help drive the Middleware infrastructure. You will be working with a team of Middleware Engineers and other discipline Engineers. Together you will provide design, implementation, automation, capacity planning, and Engineering level support of a suite of Middleware products.
As an Infrastructure Middleware Engineer you will help set the direction for the various environments in partnership with the Enterprise Architects and our Developer community. You will work with multiple automation projects including the end to end deployment of JBOSS and based platforms using Infrastructure as Code deployments, messaging platforms such as MQ and Message Broker and ETL technologies like InfoSphere DataStage. You will work with security gateways like DataPower.
In this position, you will provide mentorship and technical support to our Middleware operations teams, create and maintain system documentation, drive next generation capabilities for our customers, and help drive automation into our infrastructure. Additionally, the position involves research, tool development and documentation for future middleware environments.
- Experience supporting Java based application servers and microservices (Spring Boot) desired. Direct JBoss application server experience a plus.
- Strong experience with automation methodologies and processes
- Development experience with dynamic languages, like Python, Ruby, etc.
- Configuration management and orchestrated build with Jenkins, Ansible, Packer, Terraform, Artifactory, Puppet, Vault, Docker, Kubernetes etc.
- Test driven development and deployment.
- Agile and Scrum
- Strong, proven performance diagnostic skills (at both the MW and systems levels)
- Experience working with DataPower, MW, /Vips in a UNIX/Linux environment a plus
- Experience in gathering and documenting business requirements of application characteristics, including third-party software requirements, backend resources, and means of implementation.
- Strong experience in and training to lower-level web engineers.
- Self-starter with an innate ability to adapt to change and motivated to champion the continuous improvement
- Curious and driven to acquire new skills autonomously.
- Demonstrably solid written and verbal communication skills to drive projects to conclusion.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related discipline or equivalent work experience.
Standard Insurance Company, The Standard Life Insurance Company of New York, Standard Retirement Services, Inc., StanCorp Equities, Inc., StanCorp Mortgage Investors, LLC, and StanCorp Investment Advisers, Inc., marketed as The Standard, are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability or veteran status or any other condition protected by federal, state or local law. The Standard offers a drug- and alcohol-free work environment where possession, manufacture, transfer, offer, use of or being impaired by an illegal substance while on The Standard's property, or in other cases which the company believes might affect operations, safety or reputation of the company is prohibited. The Standard requires a criminal background investigation, drug test, employment, education and licensing verification as a condition of employment. All employees of The Standard must be bondable.
See more information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) applicant rights.
View the notice and invitation to all employees and applicants regarding our Affirmative Action and EEO policy.
Individuals with disabilities who need assistance or accommodation with the application process should contact 971.321.7871. This number is only for the use of individuals with disabilities who need accommodation with the application process. General inquiries about application status will not be addressed.