Internal Sales Consultant - Institutional
About the Job
In this role, you will:
As an Internal Sales Consultant, you’ll partner with an External Sales Executive to drive new business development, & build and maintain relationships in the Consultant Sales channel within a geographic territory. Our Internal Sales Consultants are influential authorities who dedicatedly ask for clients’ business to enable the growth of our Recordkeeping and Defined Contribution Investment (DCIO) business. This role is best for driven sales professionals and strategic thinkers who can uncover needs and provide the right solutions.
How you’ll spend your days:
As an Internal Sales Consultant, you’ll spend your days building, growing, and maintaining relationships with retirement industry consultants by developing a thorough understanding of their needs. Asking targeted, high impact questions will allow you to position beneficial Vanguard offerings through consultative sales conversations. You’ll raise awareness of Vanguard’s recordkeeping offer and investment products by delivering key messages through targeted prospecting activities, including cold calls and virtual communications.
Applying your deep knowledge of the capital markets, the Institutional retirement plan industry, and marketplace developments, you’ll become a trusted advisor to both clients and prospective clients. You’ll help achieve sales goals by engaging with external partners to uncover sales opportunities, position Vanguard products and services, and close new business within the territory.
Through effective funnel management and implementation of the sales process, you’ll move clients and prospects through the sales process with efficiency and transparency. During travels with the external partner, you’ll participate in face to face meetings with consultants and partner with the External Sales Executive in the development and execution of a strategic business plan.
What it takes:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience required. Master’s degree (MBA) or Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) preferred.
- Minimum five years general experience or five years industry/technology with some experience working with defined contribution plans preferred.
- Minimum five years general experience and five years industry/technology. Financial services industry or wholesaling experience preferred. Professional designations such as QKA, QPA, CIMA, CFP, or CFA preferred.
- Understanding of the sales process and frameworks (Miller Heiman, Richardson)
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills. Good working knowledge of PC and MS software. Understanding of CRM systems.
- Excellent organizational and follow up skills. Ability to handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
- Demonstrated professional presence, poise and presentation skills.
- High energy, motivated individual, committed to excellence.
Certifications we are searching for:
- FINRA Series 7 and 63 (or ability to acquire within department guidelines)
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
- If you are offered and accept this position, and you do not have the necessary FINRA licenses for the role, then you must obtain the required licenses within the specified period of time as outlined by Vanguard’s FINRA Licensing Policy. Additionally, prior to moving into this licensed role, you will be asked to provide authorization for Vanguard to conduct a full background check, including criminal, employment/education history, credit and public records search in accordance with the FINRA regulations.
- Limited business travel <25% per year.
We are Vanguard. Together, we’re changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn’t just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose – and that’s how we’ve become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let’s make it count.
Vanguard’s continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: “Do the right thing.”
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard’s core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.