Internship - Actuarial Assistant
About the Job
If you want to make a positive difference and stand out from the crowd, you’ll fit in at The Standard (www.standard.com). Through our retirement plans and insurance products and services, we help people achieve financial well-being and peace of mind. Come join us and share our passion for serving our customers in a positively different way.
The Standard’s summer internship program for future actuaries provides opportunities for students to:
- Gain exposure to the actuarial profession and the company’s culture
- Learn about various different products and actuarial functions
- Work with actuaries from across the organization
- Learn about actuarial practices
- Gain insight into other operational areas including IT, Underwriting, HR, Claims, and Marketing through leader brown bag lunches and speaker series
- Explore the city of Portland through intern team building activities
Interns will be assigned to work in one of the actuarial teams – Employee Benefits, Retirement Plans, Individual Disability Insurance, Individual Annuities, or Corporate. Assignment may include work in:
- Product development
- Experience studies
- Monthly and quarterly financial reporting
- Production reporting
- Systems testing
Interns work full time during the internship. At the end of the internship, each actuarial intern leads a presentation outlining their projects, experiences and learnings from the summer to a group of actuarial leaders from across the organization.
- Preferred majors in Actuarial Science, Math, Statistics, or related field
- Preferred completion of one or more actuarial exams
- Strong analytical skills as demonstrated by previous work experience and/or course of study
- Knowledge of MS Excel, MS Access, and/or other general programming languages
- Up to three days of paid time off, plus paid holidays
- Free metro transit pass
- Casual (jeans) working environment
- Relocation assistance
Standard Insurance Company, The Standard Life Insurance Company of New York, Standard Retirement Services, Inc., StanCorp Equities, Inc., StanCorp Mortgage Investors, LLC, and StanCorp Investment Advisers, Inc., marketed as The Standard, are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability or veteran status or any other condition protected by federal, state or local law. The Standard offers a drug- and alcohol-free work environment where possession, manufacture, transfer, offer, use of or being impaired by an illegal substance while on The Standard's property, or in other cases which the company believes might affect operations, safety or reputation of the company is prohibited. The Standard requires a criminal background investigation, drug test, employment, education and licensing verification as a condition of employment. All employees of The Standard must be bondable.
See more information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) applicant rights.
View the notice and invitation to all employees and applicants regarding our Affirmative Action and EEO policy.
Individuals with disabilities who need assistance or accommodation with the application process should contact 971.321.7871. This number is only for the use of individuals with disabilities who need accommodation with the application process. General inquiries about application status will not be addressed.