Lead Data Scientist
About the Job
At The Standard, you’ll join a team focused on putting our customers first.
Our continued success is driven by a high-performance culture. We’re looking for people who are collaborative, accountable, creative, agile and are driven by a passion for doing what’s right – across the company and in our local communities.
We offer a caring culture where you can make a real difference, every day.
Ready to reach your highest potential? Let’s work together.
- Work as part of a team of data scientists to develop an information advantage for the Employee Benefits Division utilizing advanced analytical capabilities while working to develop the team’s reputation as highly skilled experts in the area of data science.
- Partner with internal stakeholders and leaders to understand their business and business challenges and identify trends, patterns and develop recommendations. You will guide and work with data engineers and domain owners to produce the required data if not available.
- Develop hypotheses, convert these into the right analytical problems and solutions and communicate results back to your internal business customers to drive effective outcomes.
- Proactively identify opportunities to leverage advanced analytical capabilities to drive business results. Opportunity areas include loss mitigation, fraud detection, channel and service optimization, operational efficiency and predicting customer value.
- Conduct advanced analytics, leveraging predictive modeling, machine learning, simulation, optimization and other techniques to deliver insights or develop analytical solutions to achieve business objectives within your assigned area of focus.
- Work with large data sets and develop algorithms and supporting code to ensure the highest quality data. You’ll use your skills within the context of industry practices and company policies and procedures.
- In partnership with the Director of Advanced Analytics you’ll develop a company-wide educational program for Data Science.
We get excited when we meet talented individuals who have the following qualifications:
- PhD with 3+ years industrial experience (or MS with 6+ years industrial experience experience) building advanced data science models (fraud detection, actuarial models, pricing, and risk models).
- 2+ years of industrial experience using data science tools (Python, R, Spark, SQL) and well-known services (Azure cloud computing and storage platforms is a plus),
- PhD (or MS) degree in quantitative fields required.
- Expert knowledge of statistics and machine learning theory (examples: Survival Models, Logistic Regression, Random Forest, SVM, and Neural Networks, Regression, Clustering, ANOVA, Experimental design, etc),
- Proven track record of using big data to provide actionable and impactful business results,
- Prior experience within the insurance or financial services,
- Experience working with distributed data storage and computing, including Hadoop, Spark, Cassandra, and so forth.
Competencies You Possess
- Effective communications skills that instill confidence with internal and external audiences and translate complex concepts to non-technical stakeholders to help enable understanding and drive informed business decisions.
- A low-ego, team-oriented and collaborative approach in keeping with the corporate culture.
- Solutions-oriented mind-set; able to work effectively through complex problems.
- Easily establish yourself as a trusted partner and the ability to build effective partnerships across all areas of the organization and with colleagues at all levels.
- Intellectual curiosity, a passion for data and a results orientation.
- Consultative approach: make recommendations based on your understanding and findings!
Portland Oregon – Something for Everyone
Good Food Awards. Recognizing Portland and Oregon-based companies in 2016, 2017, and 2018.
Beer. 70+ breweries
Wine. 250 wineries within 60 miles of downtown Portland and over 700 in the state.
Parks. 37,000 acres of parks in the Portland metro area.
Cycling. A bike-friendly city.
Enjoy the great outdoors. Hiking, camping, boating, skiing, and the Oregon Coast. Lots of beautiful places to explore.
Professional Sports. Basketball, Soccer and Hockey teams.
Arts and Entertainment. Symphony, Ballet, Theater, Museums.
Standard Insurance Company, The Standard Life Insurance Company of New York, Standard Retirement Services, Inc., StanCorp Equities, Inc. and StanCorp Investment Advisers, Inc., marketed as The Standard, are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status or any other condition protected by federal, state or local law. The Standard offers a drug and alcohol free work environment where possession, manufacture, transfer, offer, use of or being impaired by an illegal substance while on Standard property, or in other cases which the company believes might affect operations, safety or reputation of the company is prohibited. The Standard requires a criminal background investigation, drug test, employment, education and licensing verification as a condition of employment. All employees of The Standard must be bondable.