Operational Risk Manager
About the Job
At Wells Fargo, we want to satisfy our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed financially. We’re looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Join our diverse and inclusive team where you’ll feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
Wholesale Banking provides financial solutions to businesses across the United States and globally. Our four major business lines include Corporate & Investment Banking, Commercial Banking, Commercial Real Estate, and Wells Fargo Commercial Capital. We also have groups in credit risk, group risk, finance, marketing, human relations, and the Wholesale Chief Operating Office that support our businesses.
The Wholesale Control (WC) organization serves as the front line risk management organization within Wholesale Banking supporting the businesses with risk strategy, implementation, and execution. The Wholesale Control team is accountable to assess and effectively manage risks across all risk types and Wholesale businesses delivering an integrated view of risks, producing a sustainable control environment, and instilling a culture of strong risk management. The team is responsible to identify and assess risks, design and implement controls, and monitor the controls to ensure they are working effectively. Wholesale Control interfaces with Independent Risk Management and Audit to drive comprehensive and consistent implementation of regulatory and corporate risk policies and programs across Wholesale.
The Wholesale Control Self-Assurance (WCSA) functions serves as the front line control testing group for key areas of risk across all lines of business within Wholesale, domestic and international operations, and across multiple risk disciplines. The group is responsible for assessing risks, testing the design and execution of key controls, and performing monitoring to ensure processes and controls are working as expected to manage risks across Wholesale. Wholesale Control Assurance interfaces with Independent Risk Management, Audit and the regulators to assess comprehensive and consistent implementation of regulatory and corporate risk policies and programs across Wholesale.
This experienced leader will play an integral role in leading a team responsible for ensuring effective execution in the frontline of the Corporate Self-Assurance Activities (SAA) policy within Wholesale Banking. Related responsibilities will also include; defining strategic approach, executing monitoring routines, performing process risk based assessments, evaluating control design (SHRP and/or BPRM), drafting comprehensive procedures to support SAA, executing reoccurring SAA, and interact and work cross-functionally with the various LOB’s/Self Assurance teams to drive appropriate changes identified as a result of performing SAA’s.
As part of the Wholesale Control group, this leader will have specific Key responsibilities to:
- Build, lead and develop a dynamic team to support Self-Assurance activities.
- Evaluate the design and performance of policies, procedures, systems and internal controls
- Develop comprehensive risk based Self-Assurance activities that are consistent and repeatable.
- Collaborate, partner, and educate LOB on SA function and how this team will interact with other ‘in-line’ Self-Assurance activities performed by the business
- Monitor changes in our control environment, evaluate SAA control design, and revise review plans to ensure we have appropriate coverage and alignment with Corp SA policy.
- Recognize when SAAs are needed and serve as SME/advisor on the effective design and buildout of SAAs.
- Ensure compliance with all Wholesale Self-Assurance program procedures.
- Liaison with SAA data analytics group to ensure appropriate data integrity throughout the SAA lifecycle. Provide credible challenge on accuracy of data.
- Distribute clear and comprehensive reporting to key stakeholders.
- Monitor, track, and evaluate effectiveness of corrective actions that are created as a result of SAA activities. Partner with Issue Management cross functional teams as appropriate.
Control Assurance Manager Role
The Control Assurance Manager will be responsible for designing, executing, and monitoring front line Control Assurance testing programs within one of the following areas within the Wholesale Business: Corporate & Investment Banking, Commercial Banking and Wells Fargo Commercial Capital both domestic and global.
Team members support our focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture which firmly establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our customers and company. They are accountable for compliance with of all applicable risk which includes effectively following and adhering to applicable Wells Fargo policies and procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit’s risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.
As a Team Member Manager, you are expected to achieve success by leading yourself, your team, and the business. Specifically you will:
- Lead your team with integrity and create an environment where your team members feel included, valued, and supported to do work that energizes them.
- Accomplish management responsibilities which include sourcing and hiring talented team members, providing ongoing coaching and feedback, recognizing and developing team members, identifying and managing risks, and completing daily management tasks.
Other Desired Qualifications
- Knowledge of Wholesale Banking including Commercial Banking and related rules and regulations a plus.
- Knowledge of investment securities, broker dealers, personal and corporate trust and related rules and regulations a plus.
- Background in a leadership roles in audit, testing or Quality Assurance.
- Prior experience with testing, monitoring/quality assurance activities, audit/exam management baseline, Issue management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to design, implement and monitor internal controls
- Strong, proactive leadership and ability to work with a high degree of autonomy
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbal and written, with various levels of management, including executives
- Demonstrated ability to apply knowledge and subject matter expertise to effectively solve high-profile issues/problems or escalated matters
- Demonstrated application of effective credible challenge
- Demonstrated ability to ensure high quality output from self and team
- Change agent and creative thinker, able to initiate action and manage change in a rapidly-evolving environment
- Proficiency with interpreting, analyzing, and manipulating data
All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.