Patient Service Navigator
About the Job
Escorts or transports patients within facility. Records patient movement in transport tracking system. Picks-up and delivers materials and equipment. Assists in performing related routine clerical duties or duties related to specialty areas of assignment.
1. Cleans, maintains and operates transport equipment and operates elevators to move or escort patients/visitors to and from various hospital areas, as directed, following established operating policies and procedures.
· Receives formal instruction/direction upon pick-up and provides formal hand-off report at destination, when not required to stay with patient.
· Reports any changes in patient status/condition during transport.
· Removes and reports defective equipment to supervisor.
· Assists clinical staff with lifting and moving patients for transfer and transport.
· Ensures I.V. and oxygen tanks are handled, set-up and operating according to established procedures and orders.
· Cleans transportation equipment according to Infection Control protocols.
2. Evaluates patient readiness for transport and need for appropriate equipment and ensures that equipment is ready and available.
3. Recognizes cardio-pulmonary distress symptoms, sends for code team and provides interim basic life support for airway management and cardiac arrests until code team arrives.
4. Uses patient transport tracking system to record patient information; assignment acceptance and closure.
5. Picks-up and delivers materials and equipment, as directed, to various offices and departments within the Hospital according to related operating policies and procedures.
6. Accesses medication delivery and/or medication areas, as authorized, in the performance of required duties, as needed.
7. Performs related duties, as required.
· High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
· Basic Life Support (BLS) or equivalent certification within the first three (3) months from Date of Hire, required.
· Prior hospital experience, preferred.
· Demonstrated knowledge of patient transfer/transport techniques, and related body mechanics.
· Knowledge of basic related Safety and Infection Control policies and practices.
· Ability to utilize electronic technology for data input.
· Ability to communicate effectively.