Project Manager - Air
Calpine Middletown, CA
About the Job
Responsible for complex, technical work to maintain compliance with the organization’s EHS standards, federal and state regulatory requirements, and consensus industry standards. Reviews and interprets EHS rules and regulations and advises management accordingly. Has comprehensive understanding of EHS principles, concepts, practices, standards and regulations. Coordinates compliance assurance activities for multi-media environmental programs with an emphasis on air emissions and all associated monitoring, reporting, and other permit requirements.
Serves as the liaison between local regulatory agencies and plant staff. Has familiarity and experience using computer software applications such as EDNA, Microsoft Office applications and SharePoint and on-line reporting tools such as DOORS & TRUCRS (CARB) and Cal GRRT that are related to the gathering and storing of data and reporting of power plant and facility operations.
Reviews plant EHS procedures and makes recommendations for updates according to laws, regulations and best practices. May lead or participate in investigations of EHS incidents (Environmental and/or Safety), accidents, injuries, and near miss events. Recommends improvements in processes, design, procedures, and operating equipment to minimize the potential for hazardous or non-compliance issues. Supports employee training related to Environmental compliance and emergency preparedness. Prepares and maintains all necessary EHS compliance documents and records for area of expertise.
• Provide oversight of Air Compliance programs for the Geysers facilities.
• Partner with operations to build employee engagement through establishment of goals, planning, and personal engagement.
• Drive EHS risk recognition and mitigation by assessing and communicating physical, operational, and regulatory risks related to EHS matters.
• Support continuous learning through identification of EHS best practices and timely and relevant communications.
• Serve as a catalyst for continuous improvement through EHS assessments, event and trend analyses.
• Track EHS compliance status, and ensure timely and accurate completion of task requirements.
• Review collection and recordkeeping practices related to EHS matters.
• Compile and submit internal and external reports as specified by regulatory and company requirements.
• Prepare applications, submit and push to completion permitting for various Geysers projects and compliance requirements including geothermal production and injection wells, mercury and H2S abatement systems, Title V and ambient air monitoring requirements.
• Makes decisions regarding own work, within generally defined parameters.
• May make recommendations on new processes, tools and services; supports and contributes to the development of new products, services or techniques.
• Works on problems of diverse scope ranging from moderate to complex.
• Uses independent judgement requiring in-depth analysis of variable factors. May collaborate with senior professionals in selection of methods, techniques, and analytical approach.
• Little instruction on day-to-day work, general instructions on new assignments.
• Serves as project/technical lead on small to medium sized projects; may coordinate work of professionals, technicians and others outside of own department.
• Requires minimum of 5 years’ experience in Environmental Compliance, preferably in energy industry or manufacturing.
• Excellent organizational and communication skills.
• Working knowledge of federal, state (California preferred), and local regulations pertaining to EHS (emphasis on air permitting and compliance).