Registered Nurse Home Infusion Brooklyn NY
About the Job
There's an energy and excitement here, a shared mission to improve the lives of others as well as our own. Nursing here isn't for everybody. Instead of seeing a handful of patients each day, your work may affect millions for years to come. Ready for a new path? Start doing your life's best work.(sm)
- Establish and maintain positive clinical rapport with patients and their families, working closely with them in the provision of infusion therapy, education related to self-care and self-administration, and clinical monitoring of patient response to therapy.
- Assess patient appropriateness for home infusion therapy, including safety of the home environment, availability of caregiver support, and willingness of patient and/or caregivers to become as independent in therapy administration and monitoring of response to therapy as possible.
- Obtain and document patient’s medical history at the start of care and ongoing, particularly as related to the diagnosis being treated with the prescribed infusion therapy.
- Complete all required clinical documentation thoroughly and timely, including nursing plans of care (POC), plans of treatment (POT), visit notes, clinical summaries, medication profiles, discharge summaries and any updates provided to members of the patient’s care team, as well as obtaining patient and/or caregiver signatures on relevant consents and required forms.
- Participate in case conferences as needed to comprehensively plan patient care with the multi-disciplinary care team.
- Provide skilled care to patients of varying ages and medical conditions, as outlined in the plan of care and in accordance with physician orders and the plan of treatment.
- Establish, secure and maintain vascular access devices as prescribed, including (but not limited to) peripheral IV (PIV) placement, PICC and tunneled central venous catheter dressing changes, and implanted port access.
- Administer medications as prescribed, performing therapy-specific clinical assessments in accordance with the Company’s policies, procedures and protocols, which may include frequent vital sign monitoring, management of acute infusion reactions, monitoring of side effects, and procurement of laboratory specimens.
- Communicate observations of patient response to therapy and overall physical assessment/condition with members of the care team in a timely manner, which may include the nursing supervisor, dispensing pharmacist, registered dietitian, and licensed prescriber, among others.
- Establish collaborative relationships with home health agencies (HHAs) delivering services on behalf of/or in conjunction with the Company, providing agency education and support as requested by the nursing supervisor.
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge base of infusion therapies administered in the home and ambulatory infusion center, utilizing Company policies, procedures and protocols in addition to all available training resources to ensure understanding of each therapy before initiating treatment.
- Maintain current nursing licensure in all states in which patients are serviced, as required by the respective State Boards of Nursing and/or Department of Health.
- Comply with all State and Federal regulations and laws, including employee health and safety protections mandated by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), patient privacy and data security required by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), as well as all home infusion standards of practice.
- Complete all training required upon hire and annually per policy, including cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification.
- Serve as a professional representative of the Company when meeting with and/or providing education to external customers, payers and referral sources.
- Assist in staff orientation and training, serving as a clinical educator and resource as requested.
- Drive personal/rental vehicle (per travel policy) in the completion of job duties, including (but not limited to) travel to the Company office, patient homes, area hospitals, physician offices, home health agency offices, and the Company’s Ambulatory Infusion Suite (AIS).
- Active and unrestricted licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the state(s) of practice and others as requested.
- 1+ years of experience working as an RN in a clinical care setting that contributes to proficiency in infusion therapy (such as medical surgical unit, emergency department, intensive care unit, post-anesthesia care unit, or similar setting).
- Proficient with electronic medical record documentation.
- Willing and able to work with an interdisciplinary team of professionals including pharmacists and technicians, physicians and other licensed prescribers, registered dietitians, home health agencies (HHAs), sales representatives, and others as needed to provide comprehensive care and support of patients and caregivers.
- Willing and able to work independently in home or alternate-site settings.
- Willing and able to assume a flexible work schedule.
- Willing and able to meet attendance, overtime, after-hours on-call, and other reliability requirements of the position.
- Access to reliable transportation that will enable travel to customer and/or patient sites.
Experience administering infusion therapy in a home or alternate-site setting.
- Knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Office and electronic medical records (EMR) programs.
- Knowledge of the Infusion Nursing Society (INS) standards of practice, policies and procedures.
- Knowledgeable of HIPAA patient privacy and data security requirements, OSHA employee protection regulations, and accreditation standards for home health and home infusion pharmacy (or other relevant accrediting organizations).
- Excellent organizational and critical thinking skills.
- Effective interpersonal communications, both written and verbal.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office.
- Effective teaching skills.
- Pediatric experience
UnitedHealth Group is working to create the health care system of tomorrow. Already Fortune 6, we are totally focused on innovation and change. We work a little harder. We aim a little higher. We expect more from ourselves and each other. And at the end of the day, we're doing a lot of good. Through our family of businesses and a lot of inspired individuals, we're building a high-performance health care system that works better for more people in more ways than ever. Now we're looking to reinforce our team with people who are decisive, brilliant - and built for speed. Come to UnitedHealth Group, and share your ideas and your passion for doing more. We have roles that will fit your skills and knowledge. We have diverse opportunities that will fit your dreams.
Job Keywords: RN, Registered Nurse, Infusion Nurse, Home Infusion, home health IV, IVIG, IV therapy, INS, IGNS, ER, Oncology, ICU, Infusion Therapy, UHG, Optum, OptumRx, BriovaRx Infusion Services, Brooklyn, NY, New York