About the Job
Vanguard has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Accountant in our Corporate Accounting Operations' IT and Facilities team, primarily supporting IT. This is a functional team and, as such, supports Vanguard's operations globally and will provide an applicant with exposure to US GAAP and IFRS. A successful candidate will have the opportunity to learn and understand the IT business, build relationships with business partners, and gain exposure to technical accounting topics such as accounting for internally developed software.
Primary responsibilities includes meeting with business partners to understand transactional activity, recording monthly expected journal entries, performing account reconciliations and analysis, and supporting the internally developed process.
An ideal candidate will be able to learn quickly, have a thirst for knowledge, and an eye for process improvement in their day to day operations.
In this role you will:
- Execute a full range of monthly accounting responsibilities for assigned legal entities, divisions and/or functional areas, ensuring the proper recording of financial activities in accordance with U.S. and international accounting and reporting standards, statutory reporting requirements and Corporate policies. Prepare general ledger account reconciliations and reviews, prepare and post journal entries. Provide coding for purchase orders and accounts payable invoices.
- Analyze U.S. and non-U.S. Business operations, trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments and obligations to ensure accurate recording of financial positions. Assist in the preparation and communication of monthly financial results senior accountant and management.
- Identify issues independently. Work with internal business contacts to research issues, develop recommendations, and resolve routine issues.
- Identify risk and assist in updating internal control procedures that ensure proper recording and reporting of financial position and prevent significant errors in accounting records.
- Produce timely reporting of monthly results and other information as required by the Chief Accounting Officer.
- Build and develop strong working relationships both locally and globally to ensure mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Work with external auditors during the annual financial statement audit. Analyze and prepare documents/information with the auditors. Answer all auditor inquires.
- Participate in additional projects and performs other duties as assigned.
What it takes:
- Undergraduate degree (in accounting or finance preferred). CPA or MBA preferred or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication/presentation skills.
- Ability to work effectively and independently.
- Excellent computer skills including Accounting software, Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with internal and external partners and clients.
- One to two years general experience in an accounting and financial reporting environment preferred.
- Working knowledge of financial and operational controls.
- Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and International Accounting Standards (IAS) preferred.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we’re changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn’t just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose – and that’s how we’ve become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let’s make it count.
Vanguard’s continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: “Do the right thing.”
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard’s core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.