Senior Front End Engineer - CX
About the Job
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides senior level system analysis, design, development, and implementation of applications and databases for client/server-, Web-, and/or PC-based software or middleware. Integrates third party products.
2. Translates technical specifications, and/or logical and physical design into code for new or enhancement projects for internal clients. Develops code and test artifacts that reuse subroutines or objects, is well structured, backed by automated tests, includes sufficient comments and is easy to maintain. Writes programs, appropriate test artifacts, ad hoc queries, and reports. Employs contemporary software development techniques to ensure tests are implemented in a way that supports automation.
3. Elevates code into the development, test, and Production environments on schedule. Provides follow up Production support. Submits change control requests and documents.
4. Thoroughly understands software development methodology. Thoroughly understands architecture standards. Trains and mentors staff with less experience. Resolves issues elevated from staff with less experience.
5. Participates in design, code, and test Inspections throughout life cycle to identify issues. Explains technical considerations at related meetings, including those with internal clients.
6. Performs systems analysis, including system requirements analysis and definition (e.g., prototyping), and logical and physical design.
7. Writes the system/technical portion of assigned deliverables. Assists technical team members with the system/technical portion of their deliverables (e.g., systems testers, test plans). On small teams, the developer may write these items.
8. Thoroughly understands client business functions and technology needs. Has a broad understanding of Vanguard’s technologies, tools, and applications, including those that interface with business area and systems.
9. Is highly functional on large, matrixed project teams. Interfaces with cross functional team members, including database administrator, IT security, project manager, technical writer, and clients. Communicates systems issues at the appropriate technical level for each audience.
10. Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established milestones. Thoroughly understands and complies with all Information Security policies and procedures, and verifies deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
11. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- 5 years developer or systems analyst experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong, demonstrated analysis and problem solving skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
Advanced knowledge of the following development practices and concepts:
•Production acceptance, including elevations and change management.
•Interfaces, feeds, and event schedules.
•Quality assurance methodology and Inspections.
•Use case standards.
•Systems analysis and design techniques.
•Libraries, reusable code, and/or object oriented standards.
•Screen, report, and query design.
Advanced knowledge of current versions of the following products:
•Microsoft Office Suite.
Advanced knowledge of one or more development tools and programming languages in the SOE/SDE list:
Advanced knowledge of one or more IT platforms:
Demonstrate a track record of strong database and data access analysis, design and implementation skills/capabilities.
Advanced knowledge of one or more testing tools, performance tools, and scripting languages in the SOE/SDE list, preferred
- 1. Weekday coverage: Regularly scheduled 5-day week, Mon. - Fri., normal business hours.
- 2. On-call and remote support off hours: See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
- 3. Travel: For Charlotte, NC-based staff, limited travel to Valley Forge, PA is required for new employee orientation, project kickoff meetings, other meetings, and training.
- 1. Works on critical business applications/databases with the largest numbers of interfaces and users.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we’re changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn’t just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose – and that’s how we’ve become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let’s make it count.
Vanguard’s continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: “Do the right thing.”
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard’s core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.