Sr. Online Engineer
About the Job
Sr. Online Engineer
Founded in 1990, Raven Software is the developer of numerous award-winning games including Hexen, Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and most recently, a major contributor to the blockbuster Call of Duty® franchise. We're based in Middleton, Wisconsin, a suburb of Madison, annually ranked on numerous lists as one of the top places to live and work.
We have a unique vision for our industry. One that has and continues to inspire us. We bring no egos. We focus on what is best for the game. We hire stunning peers. We own our own mistakes. We treat each other with respect. After nearly 30 years, Raven Software is still thriving. We developed a team who cares about one another, our games and our players. As we enter the next exciting chapter of our story, we are growing. Our team is creative, highly intelligent, well-led and equipped to face this exciting future. If you want to work with a world-class team, on exciting new projects, then apply today! We look forward to hearing from you.
Raven Software is wholly owned by Activision. To learn more about our studio, please visit us at www.ravensoftware.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ravensoftware, and @RavenSoftware on Twitter.
As a Senior Online Engineer you will help develop a thrilling networked game experience for our players. This is a great opportunity to be part of a passionate engineering team dedicated to delivering cutting-edge multiplayer games.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Develop, modify, debug, and optimize existing online systems
- Architect new systems used to network our games
- Participate in the code review process
- Co-develop and collaborate with other Activision studios
- Document software and features for internal and external teams
- Bachelor's degree in a Computer Science, Engineering, or Math-related field
- 5+ years of engineering experience in the game industry
- Background in online systems and networking
- Experience with C/C++ and computer architecture knowledge
- Ability to quickly understand and work with internally and externally developed code
- Creative, motivated, focused, passionate, results-oriented
- Demonstrated ability to write efficient, readable, and reliable code
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Previously shipped game titles
- Experience with bandwidth optimization, packet loss, and latency
- Background with various network protocols
- Proficiency working in a client-server game architecture
- Knowledge of various first-party online service APIs (Playstation Network, Xbox Live, Steam)
- Working knowledge of relational databases and SQL
- Understanding of various data compression techniques
- Familiarity with data-visualization and search engine software (Kibana, Elasticsearch, etc.)
- Experience with heavily multi-threaded execution and related optimization patterns
Raven Software is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.