Surgical Technologist II, FT-Eves, $5K SIgn On Bonus, MHW: Operating Room
About the Job
Facilitates the safe and efficient performance of surgical procedures.
• Prepares surgical operating suite with drapes, solutions, instruments, equipment and supplies. Ensures good working order of equipment and instruments.
• Assists with preparing, transporting, positioning and draping patients.
• Passes instruments to physician during surgery. Continually accounts for number and location of instruments and supplies during surgery.
• Receives and processes specimens for delivery to the laboratory.
Competencies and skills:
• STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOR: Acts in a manner that supports the standards of communication, respect, privacy, and teamwork by demonstrating a commitment to professional and ethical conduct.
• CUSTOMER SERVICE: Demonstrates commitment to service excellence by promptly addressing internal/external customer issues/requests, resolving concerns while maintaining a professional image and behavior to build and enhance the patient/family/customer experience.
• ACCOUNTABILITY: Accepts ownership of job roles and specific assignments/goals; works independently, takes responsibility for own actions; admits mistakes and judgment errors; and accepts constructive feedback. Connects personal work results to the accomplishment of team and organizational goals.
• RESPONDING TO CHANGE: Accepts change and adapts in a positive and productive manner; handles unexpected situations and changes in direction calmly and with confidence. Views new assignments and job responsibilities as an opportunity for growth.
• PATIENT SAFETY - NURSING: Complies with and ensures patient safety practices in the clinical setting.
• EQUIPMENT STERILIZATION: Receives, sorts, decontaminates, cleans, examines and sterilizes surgical and medical items.
• PATIENT AND FAMILY CENTERED CARE: "Provides Patient and Family Centered Care to patients, families, visitors and internal customers"
• CLINICAL POLICIES AND STANDARDS: Applies knowledge of clinical standards, policies, and procedures relevant to function and organization.
• Accredited Program
• Surgical Technologist
• BLS Certification
Education equivalent experience:
• Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technologist program.
Complexity of Work: Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision. Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
Required Work Experience: 1 year experience required.
• Bending and Stooping 80.00%
• Climbing 60.00%
• Keyboard Entry 80.00%
• Kneeling 80.00%
• Lifting/Carrying Patients 35 Pounds or Greater 80.00%
• Lifting or Carrying 0 - 25 lbs Non-Patient 80.00%
• Lifting or Carrying 25.01 lbs - 75 lbs Non-Patient 80.00%
• Pushing or Pulling 0 - 25 lbs Non-Patient 80.00%
• Pushing or Pulling 26 - 75 lbs Non-Patient 80.00%
• Pushing or Pulling > 75 lbs Non-Patient 80.00%
• Reaching 80.00%
• Repetitive Movement Foot/Leg 80.00%
• Repetitive Movement Hand/Arm 80.00%
• Running 40.00%
• Sitting 80.00%
• Squatting 80.00%
• Standing 80.00%
• Walking 80.00%
• Audible Speech 80.00%
• Hearing Acuity 80.00%
• Smelling Acuity 80.00%
• Depth Perception 80.00%
• Distinguish Color 80.00%
• Seeing - Far 80.00%
• Seeing - Near 80.00%
• Bio hazardous Waste 80.00%
• Biological Hazards - Respiratory 80.00%
• Biological Hazards - Skin or Ingestion 80.00%
• Blood and/or Bodily Fluids 80.00%
• Communicable Diseases and/or Pathogens 80.00%
• Cytotoxic Chemicals 60.00%
• Dust 60.00%
• Gas/Vapors/Fumes 80.00%
• Hazardous Chemicals 60.00%
• Latex 60.00%
• Computer Monitor 80.00%
• Domestic Animals 60.00%
• Extreme Heat/Cold 60.00%
• Fire Risk 80.00%
• Hazardous Noise 40.00%
• Heating Devices 80.00%
• Laser/High Intensity Lights 80.00%
• Moving Mechanical Parts 80.00%
• Needles/Sharp Objects 80.00%
• Potential Electric Shock 60.00%
• Potential for Physical Assault 80.00%
• Wet or Slippery Surfaces 80.00%
Memorial Hospital West opened in 1992 with 100 beds to serve the growing population of western Broward. Today, the hospital has 384 beds and is one of the busiest and most technologically advanced in the region.
Memorial Hospital West’s many respected specialty programs include:
• Medical and Surgical Services
• Adult and Pediatric Emergency Departments
• Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute
• Memorial Cancer Institute
• Blood and Marrow Transplant Program, including Broward County’s first adult inpatient autologous transplant unit
• Memorial Neuroscience Institute
• Memorial Rehabilitation Institute
• Bariatric/Weight-Loss Surgery Program
• The Family Birthplace
• Women’s Services
Truven Health Analytics and Modern Healthcare magazine named Memorial Hospital West one of the nation’s 100 Top Hospitals in 2013 and 2014 – and the hospital has been consistently recognized by The Leapfrog Group with an “A” Ranking for Patient Safety.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended, nor should it be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification.